Oslo Municipality named Caverion Norway the best apprentice establishment and granted the company The Apprentice Company of the Year award (Fagopplæringsprisen) 2014 due to its serious commitment to apprentices.
Commissioner for Knowledge and Education in Oslo Municipality, Anniken Hauglie, praised Caverion’s apprentice program.
- Caverion has a stable and high number of apprentices and takes great care of them, says Hauglie.
Caverion Norway currently has 371 apprentices training in a variety of disciplines.
In its statement the jury highlights the following: "In addition to being very conscious in taking in apprentices, they follow up the youngsters in a great manner, which shows great results amongst the apprentices. The company also works to recruit female apprentices in male-dominated disciplines. "
- The municipality wishes that more companies will see that apprentices are an investment in the future, as Caverion does. We need more businesses that take socially responsibility and that follow up their apprentices and provide solid training, says Hauglie.
The greatest award you can get
Resource Coordinator at Caverion Norway, Day Hesland, has been responsible for recruiting and following up the apprentices in Oslo since 1997.
- This award is the greatest award you can get in my field; I am humble and proud at the same time.
- We are in competition with all other apprentice establishments in Oslo, so that Caverion got this award is a wonderful acknowledgment of that the work we are doing is right, says Hesland.
The award inspires
CEO of Caverion Norway, Knut Gaaserud, is proud to receive the award for the apprentice program of the year.
- It's great that Oslo Municipality recognize that Caverion take apprentices seriously. This award inspires us to continue our targeted work with apprentices. Not only in Oslo, but at all of our nearly 60 branches in Norway.
- The apprentice program is an important recruitment channel for Caverion. In addition, we have an important responsibility and a duty to provide a good education to young people.
- Our best professionals have completed their apprenticeship in Caverion and are today amongst the people contributing significantly to the company's value. Many also serve as managers and project managers today, but have not forgotten his time as apprentices. In Caverion, the apprentices are an investment for the future, says a satisfied Gaaserud.
Want to help apprentices in other companies
Resource Coordinator Hesland says that they last week launched an information portal for apprentices in Norway, called Lærlingplassen at Caverion.no (www.caverion.no/Lærlingplassen
- As one of the largest apprenticeship companies we are sitting on a lot of knowledge, and we want to help all current and future apprentices to find the information they need in one place.
- We will continue to expand the portal with useful information to come, says Hesland.
Aims to encourage education
Oslo Municipality’s apprentice ward was instituted in 1996. The city council wants the award to stimulate training establishments to ensure education of high quality while expressing appreciation for the businesses’ training programs leading to examination.
Sic candidates were nominated for this year's award price. It's Vocational Training Board which evaluated the candidates. The award will be handed out on 20. November in the town hall.