As Caverion aims to be the industry’s thought leader, research and development (R&D) is crucial to always be one step ahead of our competitors. In our very own R&D centre based in Aachen (Germany) we have 12 team-members, headed by Detlef Makulla, who cooperate with experts from other departments throughout the Caverion Group. Together they work to develop user-friendly and energy-efficient technical solutions for buildings and industries.
But, exactly what are they testing, and how do they perform the research and develop the solutions? Here are 5 quick facts to break it down:
- We test on a scale of 1:1, our large R&D hall is 1,000 m2.
- We test air volume, cooling, and indoor climate, we also have an echo chamber for acoustic measurements. Air volume flows of up to 20,000 m2/h, and cooling capacities of up to 250 kW can be measured in the 12-metre-high hall.
- We replicate offices to measure exact ventilation speeds, turbulence rates and room temperature gradients. The results can then easily be extrapolated to an entire office building with hundreds of such rooms.
- Our research can help save lives as we perform simulations to optimise smoke extraction in large-volume spaces such as theatres and airport terminals.
- We do research, testing and simulations for specific projects, which gives the divisions access to new job orders. An average of 60 project reports a year come about as a result of this, and accounts for around two-thirds of Caverion’s research and development work.